What to do with Essential Oils
Essential Oils can be used is so many ways! Let’s just make sure that you use them properly and safely to get the most out of them!
- Always remember that Essential Oils and water don’t mix completely. There’s a small amount of the Essential Oil that may have some water solubility, but it is still mostly oil. If your intention is to make something that starts with a base of anything besides an oil based product, you have to use PS 20/80 (available here). PS 20/80 allows your Essential Oils to mix nicely with a water type base. If you mix up your Essential Oils with a base and see that the Essential Oils are floating on top, you absolutely need to use PS 20/80.
- Never use Essential Oils directly on your skin. Use the correct dilution ratio for the product you are creating. To avoid skin sensitivities, allergic reactions, the waste of Essential Oils and multiple other issues, following guidelines when making a product that will be applied to the skin is a good idea. See our dilutions guidelines here - Diluting Essential Oils
- Sometimes it just doesn’t make good sense to use an Essential Oil on your skin, but rather, diffusing it into the air that you breathe. Using the correct diffuser is really important! If you use a diffuser that is too small for the area you are diffusing in, you just won’t experience the benefits as much as you would if you had the correct size diffuser. Before you purchase a diffuser, check the product specifications for the recommended square footage that the diffuser is rated for.
- Pregnant women need to be especially careful when using essential oils, some oils are absolutely never, ever used during pregnancy! Caution is key!! See our page on Essential Oils during Pregnancy here - Essential Oils and Pregnancy
- Please keep all Essential Oils out of the reach of children at all times. There have been too many instances where children have ingested Essential Oils! This is so very, very dangerous and can be avoided! Childproof caps are NOT always childproof!!
- Ingesting Essential Oils as a preventative or treatment for any reason is absolutely NOT recommended, regardless of where you purchase your Essential Oils! Anyone ingesting Essential Oils is at risk for negative reactions. Burns to delicate internal tissues, damage to mucous membranes, ulcers, liver and kidney failure, and even cancer are just some of the negative effects that long term internal use can cause. Please. It is NOT worth the risk. Please do not ingest Essential Oils. (Ingestion of essential oils has its place, but must be approached cautiously and under the guidance of a trained aromatherapist. Essential oil company reps are trained in sales, not aromatherapy.)
- All Essential Oils are considered therapeutic. There is NO grading system in place in the United States for grading Essential Oils. When any company uses words like “therapeutic grade” or “certified pure therapeutic grade , these terms are actually trademarked words that the company purchased. It does NOT indicate a higher quality Essential Oil. And, as a matter of fact, many of the companies that use terms like that have already been found to be adulterating their Essential Oils.
- Know the shelf life of your Essential Oils. See our shelf life information here - Shelf Life of Essential Oils